So Much Snow

My arms hurt. I definitely need to take a break from cross stitching. Dx

But here is the lovely result! The stars are added in the night sky, more small patches of detail worked around the horns, and ever so much snow stitched around the base. I've modified the edges on this piece. The pattern was originally worked on white fabric, so large sections of all the snow in the piece is simply unstitched fabric. On blue fabric, that equals a great deal more stitching, since all of that unworked stuff now means xs. Around the bottom is difficult though, because its left to just fade out into the fabric, while I have to come up with an edge to quit working at. Mostly I followed the extreme ends at the bottom of the trees to the left and right, then I've worked it in a rounded shape to cover the foxes' tail tips and go below the bunny. It's all starting to look rather like a bell now.

And I finished the fourth book of Fablehaven inside 2014, but I've had to finish the series outside of it. This is the last book (Keys to the Demon Prison), and I've got about three chapters to go now. I thought it at the time when I read it originally, and I think the same now: this book is exhausting. It feels like those last chapters of a book, right before the end, when all the reveals are arriving and the baddies are monologuing, and the world is about to be saved - but for the entire book. Chapter after chapter, it's like you never get out of the big reveal, the big climax, and it is just the most brain-wearying book I've ever read. And I've read Dickens. When the last chapters are actually coming in this book and the big battle is about to go down (as it is when I left off last), you're just so tired that you can't even get excited for it. I'm hoping the battle scene is quick, so I can finally get the wind down. DX That's cruel of me, isn't it?


The books arrived! The ones I was talking about in the last post got here today in many packages that were very happily lugged upstairs. All but the last of the Dragon Slippers series came, so only that one is missing - the rest is here. Even the Celtic Myths book; it's even the same edition my college has. The slip still says that it's a used DVD though:

"Description: Very light surface scratches that do not affect the use of the DVD/CD or Blu-Ray. This is a USED DVD/CD/BLU-RAY. All items unless otherwise noted will include disc case and artwork. Other contents such as booklets may vary, please inquire for details."

Yes, that is actually a paperback book, not a DVD. XD

This shipment rounded out the Shamer Chronicles and the Claidi Journals, but didn't bring with them the last book of the Dragon Slippers Trilogy. So, one more book to go. I'll wait for it by reading all of this awesome! It's not everyday books come to the house in this manner!

Claidi Journals: Wolf Tower, Wolf Star, Wolf Queen, & Wolf Wing

Funnily enough the Claidi Journals alternate in size: hardbacks for first and third, paper for the second and fourth. And I was careful: all of the Shamer Chronicles arrived with their lovely old covers, the ones they had when I read them first. The new covers are alright, but I don't think they go with the vibe of the book very well. I'll stick with my nostalgia, thanks. Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow is the same: nowadays it comes with its own fancy lady on the front, but I love the older edition I got.

Shamer's Daughter, Shamer's Signet, Serpent Gift, & Shamer's War


The Catherine the Great book is, unfortunately, a large print book. I'm not a fan. I'll take it, certainly, I just prefer the smaller type. ;P

Now all I have left to do is finish reading that exhausting, tiresome, book and move on! I'll have a bunch of finishes soon in January (if I don't hurt myself first, that is), and then it'll be off with me to school again: college starts back on the 13th. And I've got more books to order! Just this time they'll be boring texts that no one really uses anyway. At least I'll have plenty of in-between-classes material to carry around with me now.

~x~

Comments