Monday, 18 January 2016

The Invisible Orientation + Nearly Finished Autumn!

I've found time to stitch! I've actually had time to stitch! I don't know if it will be sustainable over the semester, but I've found time!!


I've dropped the white from two places in the pattern so far - from the tie on the blouse and on the yellow portion of the second layer on the skirt. I simply stitched the white areas with the lightest purple I was using on the tie, and swapped the white for a paler yellow on the skirt. I have a few of the motifs stitched in, but not all, and the left sleeve has been begun. All but the pink on the bag is finished, and her hair/braid is finished but for outlining.


It's odd - she's the only one in the entire set who does not have a hair tie visible in the finished piece. It's tucked behind her to make room for the crysanthemums, of course, but it's still a little like she's missing something! She'll make up for it with her lovely butterfly ornaments, I'm sure.


The book - I'm not sure of. I know a good deal about Asexuality (which is when a person does not feel sexual attraction to anybody), but this book is not as good as I would have hoped. It consists of blog posts rewritten to form a book, and you can definitely tell. (I have since been informed this is not true; I am sorry for misinforming readers.) It's very. . . . preachy? It's halfway between being written to people who have no idea what asexuality is and don't identify with it, and to people who know all about it already and identify with it - and so it fails on both parts.

The writer constantly harps on about showing respect or having respect for a person's choices, to the point where you can fill in the rest of the sentence (or even the paragraph) for her. I'm all for not encouraging derogatory behaviour toward others, but it gets exhausting. She blows through the entire spectrum of everything, even when it's not needed, covers terminology and definitions even when they have no relation to what she's talking about, just to say that it does, also, exist (such as transromantic).

You're left, ultimately, with just a whole bunch of new words with no way to connect them all together; you might as well have read through an orientation themed vocabulary list rather than a book that took a while to put together and get published.

Coming into this book as someone who already is (somewhat) comfortable identifying as an asexual, I wish this book would be what the internet has done in the past for others and myself. I wanted the book to be the printed incarnation of all the great articles I'd stumbled across online, not just the definitions page; or something else entirely - perhaps something more conversational with the reader, or maybe a little narrower in focus, with the additional information appended at the back.

Asexuality Pride Flag
I haven't read through the whole thing yet - reviewers on GoodReads have said that the second half is better than the first because it's not so much definitions as it is stories of people. If anything, that should definitely have been the first half, rather than immediately bogging down into technicalities and more and more precise terminology. I've been too busy to get to the next part of the book, however, as I've been reading the much more enjoyable Mansfield Park (nearly finished!!) to continue perusing a laundry list of all orientations outside of heterosexuality and LGBTQ that I already knew all about. A better place to begin for the unfamiliar & the veteran would be the online site AVEN, or checking out the Asexuality Archive.

Well then. Here's to more stitching this semester (and reading)!

Stay warm!

~x~