Flaming Phoenix & MISTAKES

The Magical Creatures square for March is everyone's favourite, right??


Just look at that phoenix! Absolutely stunning. It really looks like it's on fire.

Every single one of those single stitches in yellow were done individually - loop start, and bound off, no dragging to the next location. I hate it when the thread shows through the fabric, but oh man was it a bit of work to stitch each one of those like that!! Adding in extra little dots on paper is so simple, but having to snip the thread and restart for each one was really making me rethink that decision, haha.


Since my fabric is white, I don't want to do white clouds. Cloudsfactory's piece of this entire phoenix is in a night sky with a moon, so I'm thinking - why not have dark clouds, like they're floating by in the night? Maybe some of those single stitches are sparks; maybe some of them are really stars.

~  ~  ~

So....I wrote all the above at the time that I had finished what you see in the pictures. What I discovered mere days later (I prewrite these posts and schedule them) was a giant mistake.

Two actually:


There are only supposed to be four stitches in those two circled sections. But there are five. Which meant that all of the border from that point on was two stitches out of line. Which I didn't catch until I had finished stitching the phoenix; which I had stitched based on where the border was. So not only was the whole border off, my whole phoenix was off by two stitches.

And as much as I really didn't want to rip out everything I had just done, I really didn't want to redesign literally everything else in this project to accommodate those two whole stitches. Honestly, where would I even start??

So I had to take it all out. And start over. Two stitches to the left.


It took me two days to rip out all I had done (and several more to get up the courage to start it over again). I worked ALL the border around it before I got into it - I figured if I made another mistake, I could work it into the square since the outer edges were secure this time at least. And even though I'm not adding the month names, I was quite happy to finish this square on the very last day of March!

Phew. On to the next?

Comments