Clothing

From time to time I work on clothing instead of cross stitch. Whether it be traditional clothing, Lolita-esque work, Regency bonnets, or - my latest project - the Italian Renaissance, all works of clothing upon completion will reside here.

7 March 2015 - Italian Renaissance Blouse


My detailed post on how I fashioned this shirt from two skirts can be found here.

There was no pattern for this piece, just a lot of luck in the availability of material!

This took me an afternoon to complete.

5 December 2013 - 'Bonnet' & Muff

It's not officially a bonnet - it doesn't have a back end! Patterned off the front of a bonnet I was given, bought back in Tombstone, AZ, cut of black felt and trimmed with green ribbon using two strips of fusible web. I need to come up with some kind of bow/closure for it, but otherwise there it is.




For the Muff, I cut a width of black felt that I thought would be wide enough to comfortably contain both my hands. Then I cut four layers of everyday quilt batting the same width and length (on a fold, so only one 'seam'), as well as another, smaller sized rectangle of red felt (since I didn't have quite enough black felt to do the inside as well). Considering again, I should probably have sized down each layer of the batting so it would bend in a circle easier - five layers of the same size fabrics bent over causes lumps, rather than going smoothly. I let the ends lay uneven to compensate, and went with what I had. On the ends, I quickly stitched all six layers together with the widest setting on the sewing machine, just really quick stitching. I fused the ribbon on next - the wide solid ribbon in the middle, with a very narrow (just as wide as the fusible web was actually) ribbon to either side. Mine has little loops on each side of the ribbon but they aren't very noticeable. I covered the outside join with a strip of black felt, and whipstitched the inside join together.


I did wear this later on a Christmas jaunt through all the churches in town - they do lights and music and hot drinks, and the town merrily troops through - and it was quite nice. The openings on the end are too wide or need fur to keep wind from stealing inside, but otherwise did its job as a muff!

30 October 2013 - Korean Hanbok 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*Note that the jacket does overlap left over right, but the photos were flipped in the taking, and flipping them back does weird things to the image, so I've left them as is. 

 

Pattern: None. I used pictures of finished Hanbok and watched videos of people putting Hanbok on. I was already familiar enough with the versions in Korean historical dramas to come up with my own pattern. That being mostly pinning, trying on, re-pinning as necessary, and sewing up. Fabric for the top was all stuff that had been languishing around the house for the past ten years, and the skirt was made of fabric found at a local Habitat for Humanity store.

 

Time it Took to Complete/How I Did It: I began work officially in September of 2013, but completely scrapped what I came up with. The 치마 (chima: skirt) was begun in September and laid aside - the only thing I needed was sew in pleats. The fabric did not require hemming. The pleats are knife pleats, 3 inches wide, all of one piece - no panels. Straps were attached at the top to hold over shoulders (like a tank top), as well as ties at either end made of dark ribbon.

 

The 저고리 (jogori: jacket top/blouse) was made of two panels for left and right, two square pieces for under the arms, one rectangle to overlap on the collar, and the sleeves (long tubes, cut with a slight curve above the elbow to the underarm). Attached sleeves and collar before sewing the sides of the blouse for easier sewing - just straight lines! Sewed on ties to the underarm seams and the inside front flaps to close the jacket, no buttons, snaps, or zips. Ribbon is a piece of dark fabric, unhemmed, which will remain so until I find a proper ribbon (which, as of 2015, is yet to be found). Together with the collar, this took me about five evenings to complete.


 Collar made of white fabric that used to be old bed sheets. One continuous piece, folded over about four times (it was rather sheer), sewn right sides together with blouse collar, ironed over the seam so lays flat toward the neck. I had conflicting ideas about what to do about the styling of the end of the collar, and in the end sewed the longer end too far back so it doesn't overlap as completely as it should.

 

No undergarments that typically go with Hanbok were made at this time, though I intend to make some eventually. All in all, one of the most enjoyable pieces I've worked on, and I can't wait to make another!