Wednesday, 19 March 2014

Harry Potter and the Secret's Chamber - I mean Chamber of Secrets!

As with about five other posts, this post was written back in February or earlier, and delayed until I was able to change the browser on my new computer to one that would allow photos to be uploaded on Blogger. The previous browser wasn't letting me upload any pictures, and all of my posts required photos to make any sense!

Though the ordering information gave me a two week window extending into March, I received my Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets books (in Korean!) on the 15th of February, wayyy earlier than I thought I would! I say books, because the Korean translations all come in parts - not one solid text like the English and many other translations are in. And I say Secret's Chamber because that's really what the title in Korean means. XD


Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
해리 포터와 비밀의 방 =
해리 포터와: Harry Potter and
비밀의: Secret's
방: Room
More literally "Harry Potter and the Room of Secrets." :D



The Korean version of The Chamber of Secrets comes in two parts, as do most of the books (though later installments in the series go over four parts), and the one I have is in paperback though sturdy. It probably has another name in the publishing world than paperback, because it's not just a flimsy cover; it has some thickness to it that doesn't bend as easily as others would. Each part is labelled with a little coloured circle with a '1' or a '2' on it to let you know which part it is.




I was interested in how different the book setup is. It omits the dedication and front-flap description of the book, replacing them instead with the awards the book has received and a bit about J. K. Rowling on the flap. Apart from this difference, there are two further that I'm intrigued by - the chapter images, and the titles mentioned in the book.







As you can see here, the drawings given at the beginning of the chapter are much darker in the Korean version. A LOT darker. I wonder why that is?





The next is that it seems all titles of books are enclosed in odd little brackets. This page is the book list for Second Year students, the list received by Harry and the Weasleys at the Burrow in the fourth chapter. I hadn't come across this in my studies of Korean, and I wonder if that's usual? Most likely, but it would be nice for the info.

I'm sorry for the picture quality; this is actually markedly better from the previous set of photos I had taken. Unluckily again today was rainy, and though this is a better camera than on my last computer, the light wasn't great. I've been playing around with the settings on the camera for better quality, and I think it's a little over saturated!
One thing to get used to is that Korean, unlike English, is not typed in the same style. In English, all of our words have to end at the edge of the page, or get a hyphen and continue on the next line. We don't write so that the 'Ha' of Harry is on one line, and 'rry' is on the next. We go down a line and write Harry if it doesn't fit on that line, or with longer words such as 'anymore' we can have 'any-' on the edge of the page, and 'more' on the next line. Korean doesn't seem to bother with that style of writing, and words just flow over the page, fall where they might, with no 'obvious' connectors like a hyphen to tell you the word was broken off and continues on the next line. Some websites I've visited that were written in English by Korean speakers reflect this, in that they write the same way, without hyphens or going to the next line if the word doesn't fit. Many of our writing tools online or on our computers do this for us, allowing us to type without worrying about it, and going down lines automatically as we type. I don't recall accurately, but I think it's called word-wrapping? The program will go to the next line or insert a word break, or hyphen, where permissible, rather than allow us to type the first letter of something and continue on the next line without it.

While you can survive this, if you picked up a book that didn't use hyphens or 'left letters behind' on the previous line, it would be immediately odd to an English reader. In Korean especially though, this is difficult for the learner. There are a lot of 'particles' or parts added to a word depending on where it falls in the sentence, or tells more about that word. For a learner, having the particles broken off the end of the word and stuck on the next line can catch you off guard! I'm not saying it's the end of the world, but definitely something to get used to.

I'm going to try and compile vocabulary lists Harry Potter style as I read it - since there will be a lot of magic related words in the text that you don't exactly get familiar with in the typical 101 class! Doubtful I'd publish the lists on here, but that's something to work on.

Until next time! ~x~